From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI data corruption?
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 11:37:47
1 On Sunday, 15 September 2019 23:26:47 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 15 September 2019 10:29:13 BST Mick wrote:
3
4 > > What do you see in the / filesystem when the ESP partition is *not*
5 > > mounted?
6 > The ESP space is not a partition here.
7
8 I think we are confusing terms. Your screenshot definitely shows a partition,
9 /dev/nvme0n1p2 which is your ESP partition and is flagged as such by parted.
10 The "small unpartitioned space" at the beginning of the disk is not a
11 partition and should be left well alone. (see my next email response on a
12 disambiguation of these two items).
15 > > > The only way I found to clear up the mess was to write a new gpt
16 > > > partition
17 > > > table, re-create all the partitions and restore from backup.
18 > >
19 > > Were your partitions messed up, or only the ESP? If the latter you could
20 > > have recreated that alone and copied files over from a back up.
21 >
22 > The ESP, plus one file in /boot:
23 >
24 > # cat /boot/loader/loader.conf
25 > #timeout 3
26 > #console-mode keep
27 > default 45b3c9f27eedd9ca60997b555d46f90d-*
28 >
29 > It should have been this:
30 >
31 > # cat boot/loader/loader.conf
32 > default 30-gentoo-4.19.72
33 > timeout 15
34 >
35 > > > Any idea what could have cause this? I've attached a gparted diagram of
36 > > > the disk layout in case it helps.
37
38 OK, it seems the systemd-boot decided to create a directory
39 45b3c9f27eedd9ca60997b555d46f90d-* within your ESP partition and expect to
40 find the default OS kernel in this path. I have no idea why it would do this.
41
42 It could be a bug related to systemd-boot, or something you ran, but some
43 systemd user or dev should chime in as to what might have caused it. My
44 exposure to systemd is limited, I continue to find it awkward/unpleasant to
45 use on binary distros.
48 Regards,
49
50 Mick