From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI data corruption?
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 06:23:20
1 On Monday, 16 September 2019 12:37:15 BST Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 15 September 2019 23:26:47 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Sunday, 15 September 2019 10:29:13 BST Mick wrote:
4 > > > What do you see in the / filesystem when the ESP partition is *not*
5 > > > mounted?
6 > >
7 > > The ESP space is not a partition here.
8 >
9 > I think we are confusing terms. Your screenshot definitely shows a
10 > partition, /dev/nvme0n1p2 which is your ESP partition and is flagged as
11 > such by parted. The "small unpartitioned space" at the beginning of the
12 > disk is not a partition and should be left well alone. (see my next email
13 > response on a disambiguation of these two items).
14
15 You're right, of course. It is a partition, just left empty. My mistake.
16
17 --->8
18
19 > OK, it seems the systemd-boot decided to create a directory
20 > 45b3c9f27eedd9ca60997b555d46f90d-* within your ESP partition and expect to
21 > find the default OS kernel in this path. I have no idea why it would do
22 > this.
23
24 Me neither.
25
26 > It could be a bug related to systemd-boot, or something you ran, but some
27 > systemd user or dev should chime in as to what might have caused it. My
28 > exposure to systemd is limited, I continue to find it awkward/unpleasant to
29 > use on binary distros.
30
31 I'm sure I didn't do anything to the efi. I was rebooting after a daily update
32 that needed restarts of several boot and sysinit services. I was surprised
33 when, instead of showing the efi boot menu, the system launched into some kind
34 of kernel that didn't have the necessary drivers, and stopped in a panic.
35 That's when the fun began.
36
37 The only initramfses are early_ucode.cpio and intel-uc.img.
40 Regards,
41 Peter.