From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kmail editor freezes
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:11:48
1 On Sunday, October 10, 2010 03:06:08 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > > Another clue is that it does a very similar thing when I press the Send
3 > > button. It freezes for about ten to fifteen seconds before sending.
4 >
5 > I agree it's likely caused by some network resource, I get similar things
6 > happening to me (to use imap on exchange and it's addressbook from home I
7 > have to run ssh tunnels through to the exchange machines. It's *easy* to
8 > forget to run the script that sets them up)
9 >
10 > Look for things like imap stores not available and the hard one to track
11 > down is accessing addressbooks using LDAP. The passwords are not stored in
12 > kwallet! Check your various KResources configs and grep for likely
13 > passwords in ~/.kde4/share/config
14
15 I'm still looking and investigating. No luck yet.
16
17 It doesn't appear to be a network problem for a couple of reasons. I run my
18 own mail server and it's sitting right here on my local subnet. There's no
19 problem communicating with it on either port 25 or 110. (I don't use imap, so
20 that isn't involved.) Kmail itself doesn't exhibit any symptoms when I'm
21 reading mail. It's only when I have Composer open.
22
23 I'm not using LDAP or any sort of external addressbook, and I'm not sure why
24 Composer would be accessing the addressbook while I'm in the middle of writing
25 an email. I can see it happening on either opening or closing Composer, but
26 not mid sentence. (Which, of course, doesn't mean it isn't happening. I'm
27 just not sure why it would.)
28
29 The only external resource I can think of that Composer would be accessing as
30 I'm writing is the spellchecker and turning off automatic (ie inline)
31 spellchecking doesn't mitigate the issue.
32
33 Is anyone using or tried to use an external editor with Kmail recently? If
34 not, would someone be willing to take a moment and attempt to do so and see if
35 it works correctly for you?
38 "When you're through changing, you're through." - Bruce Barton