From: Matthew Marlowe <matt@××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nomachine <--> nxserver-freenx
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 05:30:34
1 > Client-side rendering works just fine with NX (including x2go). You
2 > just have to watch your screen paint every time you scroll an
3 > application like chrome that uses it. Instead of sending the text
4 > your X client sends NX an image, just like VNC.
7 I thought the NX 4.0 packages (free and commercial) have a runtime
8 option to run either in 1) VNC type mode (default) or 2) light-mode
9 (optimized for desktop and non graphics intensive). This was
10 discussed in one of the nomachine hosted forums.
11
12 I'm homeschooling my kids and wanted to give them access to
13 mathematica/system modeler/and the full set of interesting apps
14 installed here on the home gentoo server. I did end up purchasing the
15 4-user linux terminal server option here for only roughly $125/yr. I
16 tested x2go first and while it performed fine for a single app but had
17 too many issues in desktop mode or with overall usability.