From: Steve Brenneis <sbrenneis@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is harddrive kaput?
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:07:11
1 maxim wexler wrote:
2
3 >Hello everbody,
4 >
5 >I was surfing the web when firefox suddenly closed and
6 >attempts at re-opening it failed with strange errors
7 >since forgotten. I decided to bail out of X and
8 >restart it; that failed with an I/O error on /dev/hdb4
9 >where / resides. Couldn't do a shutdown; had to reset
10 >the box. Now I get a kernel panic - Cannot open root
11 >device "hdb4".
12 >
13 >Booted from install CD and ran dmesg:
14 >
15 >hdb: dma_intr: error 0x84 {DriveStatusError Bad CRC}
16 > dma_intr: status 0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete
17 >error}
18 >
19 >a bunch of these ending with
20 >
21 >ldm_validate_partition_table(): disk read failed.
22 >
23 >fdisk displays the partitions all right but attempts
24 >to mount /dev/hdb4 came up with, special device
25 >/dev/hdb4 does not exist.
26 >
27 >e2fsck: no such file, bad superblock
28 >tune2fs: couldn't find valid fs superblock
29 >
30 >Is my hard-drive toast? This is the same one you may
31 >recall I had so much trouble with a few months back.
32 >Will it be possible to fix? Or at least make readable?
33 >
34 >-mw
40 >__________________________________
41 >Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
42 >http://mail.yahoo.com
45 The short answer is yes. You might be able to recover it by booting from
46 a CD distro (gentoo minimal, Knoppix, Fedora Rescue, etc.) and forcing
47 fsck to fix it. That might last long enough to get everything important
48 off of it. Occasionally you can run badblocks (with the -w option, this
49 will take a long time on large and/or slow disks) and find any bad
50 sectors. Be sure to use the -o option so you can feed the result into
51 mke2fs when you re-format. The -w option is destructive so make sure you
52 recover what you need first. If you had trouble with it before, it is
53 probably only hours from being a paperweight (if it isn't already).
54
55 Hope this helps.
56 --
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list