From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] is harddrive kaput?
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:11:29
1 Hello everbody,
2
3 I was surfing the web when firefox suddenly closed and
4 attempts at re-opening it failed with strange errors
5 since forgotten. I decided to bail out of X and
6 restart it; that failed with an I/O error on /dev/hdb4
7 where / resides. Couldn't do a shutdown; had to reset
8 the box. Now I get a kernel panic - Cannot open root
9 device "hdb4".
10
11 Booted from install CD and ran dmesg:
12
13 hdb: dma_intr: error 0x84 {DriveStatusError Bad CRC}
14 dma_intr: status 0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete
15 error}
16
17 a bunch of these ending with
18
19 ldm_validate_partition_table(): disk read failed.
20
21 fdisk displays the partitions all right but attempts
22 to mount /dev/hdb4 came up with, special device
23 /dev/hdb4 does not exist.
24
25 e2fsck: no such file, bad superblock
26 tune2fs: couldn't find valid fs superblock
27
28 Is my hard-drive toast? This is the same one you may
29 recall I had so much trouble with a few months back.
30 Will it be possible to fix? Or at least make readable?
31
32 -mw
39 Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
40 http://mail.yahoo.com
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list