From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: A tiny titillating taste of grub2
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 22:20:53
1 On Tuesday 11 January 2011 15:18:53 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 22:51, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > walt wrote:
4 > >> On 01/10/2011 01:37 PM, Dale wrote:
5 > >>> pk wrote:
6 > >>>> On 2011-01-10 14:05, walt wrote:
7 > >>>> You guys may be losing interest in grub2, but I'm having fun, so...
8 > >>
9 > >> Although I've not been involved in this discussion I still enjoy your
10 > >>
11 > >>>> progress (I've been meaning to try out grub2 myself since grub1 is
12 > >>>> basically EOLed but haven't had the time yet)... please continue!
13 > >>
14 > >> Same here. I'm noticing how complicated this thing is.
15 > >>
16 > >> I'm sorry I've given that impression -- the complicated part is finding
17 > >> comprehensible examples to copy, but thanks to your previous links I'm
18 > >> gaining on it. I'm now able to write a functioning grub.cfg file for
19 > >> grub2, but I don't want to publish prematurely ;)
20 > >
21 > > It wasn't just you, it was other things I read too.
22 > >
23 > >> Does it have audio too?
24 > >>
25 > >> Yes, but very primitive. No speech, but you can give it a series of
26 > >> numbers representing tones and durations -- to make it sound like a
27 > >> video game arcade. If you really want to. But I don't.
28 > >
29 > > Oh God, it can make sounds. O_O
30 >
31 > My first impression of grub2 was PAIN.
32 > In a foolish attempt to "beautify" my Desktop, I thought about installing a
33 > clean framebuffer logo for boot, and, why not, beautify the bootloader too.
34 >
35 > Gosh, 2 hours spent in an effort to configure, useless. I don't remember
36 > the exact error, but an hour of trying and I quit. Well, it messed the
37 > whole boot, so it took me twice the time spent on configuring to get rid
38 > of the thing.
39 >
40 > I never realized how happy I was with simple grub. Gosh, I even missed LILO
41 > while fighting with grub2. And LILO was a pain too, but I knew that when I
42 > first had to use it.
43
44 Same here, I messed up an installation trying different things because the
45 grub2 splash would not work. Probably early days back then and this was a
46 feature not working as it should.
47 --
48 Regards,
49 Mick