From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: A tiny titillating taste of grub2
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:06:47
1 On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 22:51, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > walt wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 01/10/2011 01:37 PM, Dale wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> pk wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> On 2011-01-10 14:05, walt wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>> You guys may be losing interest in grub2, but I'm having fun, so...
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>
14 >> Although I've not been involved in this discussion I still enjoy your
15 >>>> progress (I've been meaning to try out grub2 myself since grub1 is
16 >>>> basically EOLed but haven't had the time yet)... please continue!
17 >>>>
18 >>>
19 >> Same here. I'm noticing how complicated this thing is.
20 >>>
21 >>
22 >> I'm sorry I've given that impression -- the complicated part is finding
23 >> comprehensible examples to copy, but thanks to your previous links I'm
24 >> gaining on it. I'm now able to write a functioning grub.cfg file for
25 >> grub2, but I don't want to publish prematurely ;)
28 > It wasn't just you, it was other things I read too.
31 >> Does it have audio too?
32 >>>
33 >>
34 >> Yes, but very primitive. No speech, but you can give it a series of
35 >> numbers representing tones and durations -- to make it sound like a
36 >> video game arcade. If you really want to. But I don't.
41 > Oh God, it can make sounds. O_O
44 My first impression of grub2 was PAIN.
45 In a foolish attempt to "beautify" my Desktop, I thought about installing a
46 clean framebuffer logo for boot, and, why not, beautify the bootloader too.
47
48 Gosh, 2 hours spent in an effort to configure, useless. I don't remember the
49 exact error, but an hour of trying and I quit. Well, it messed the whole
50 boot, so it took me twice the time spent on configuring to get rid of the
51 thing.
52
53 I never realized how happy I was with simple grub. Gosh, I even missed LILO
54 while fighting with grub2. And LILO was a pain too, but I knew that when I
55 first had to use it.
58 Daniel da Veiga