From: justin <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 12:50:32
2 >> justin
5 > That make sense?
6 >
7 > Dale
8 >
9 > :-) :-)
12 Hi,
13
14 as most of you do not like to have fortran enabled by default, we tried
15 to find a way around. We created a virtual/fortran which should depend
16 on a working fortran compiler so that only ebuilds which need fortran
17 compiler will build it. With that situation it was possible to remove
18 USE=fortran from the profile (btw profiles cannot have a version bump
19 and don't need it) so that most of you could drop the fortran support
20 from gcc except a ebuild depends on it.
21
22 However I wasn't aware that there is no hierarchy in the dependencies in
23 an ebuild and portage will choose a solution w/o a USE change first.
24 That is the reason why many of you saw that ifc should be installed,
25 instead of gcc with USE=fortran. That was the point where I added it
26 back to the profile as a default enabled USE.
27
28 The solution for the average user is leaving all default USE on. This
29 will gcc build the fortran support and you will have no problem. (Libs
30 and compiler are 1.5MB on my system)
31
32 Or remove add -fortran to your make.conf and add sys-devel/gcc fortran
33 to your /etc/portage/package.use.
34
35 Trying to avoid any fortran at all is stupid, because as already
36 mentioned many math operations are faster if programmed in fortran.
37
38 Cheers justin