From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 19:23:54
1 On Saturday 25 June 2011 14:46:35 justin did opine thusly:
2 > >> justin
3 > >
4 > > That make sense?
5 > >
6 > > Dale
7 > >
8 > > :-) :-)
9 >
10 > Hi,
11 >
12 > as most of you do not like to have fortran enabled by default, we
13 > tried to find a way around. We created a virtual/fortran which
14 > should depend on a working fortran compiler so that only ebuilds
15 > which need fortran compiler will build it. With that situation it
16 > was possible to remove USE=fortran from the profile (btw profiles
17 > cannot have a version bump and don't need it) so that most of you
18 > could drop the fortran support from gcc except a ebuild depends on
19 > it.
20 >
21 > However I wasn't aware that there is no hierarchy in the
22 > dependencies in an ebuild and portage will choose a solution w/o a
23 > USE change first. That is the reason why many of you saw that ifc
24 > should be installed, instead of gcc with USE=fortran. That was the
25 > point where I added it back to the profile as a default enabled
26 > USE.
27 >
28 > The solution for the average user is leaving all default USE on.
29 > This will gcc build the fortran support and you will have no
30 > problem. (Libs and compiler are 1.5MB on my system)
31 >
32 > Or remove add -fortran to your make.conf and add sys-devel/gcc
33 > fortran to your /etc/portage/package.use.
34 >
35 > Trying to avoid any fortran at all is stupid, because as already
36 > mentioned many math operations are faster if programmed in fortran.
37
38 Feedback from the consumer end of the producer-consumer link :-)
39
40 The motivation is fine and well, it didn't quite work out, we call
41 this a "bug".
42
43 The only real mistake was trying to slipstream it in without
44 notification or warning. devs all agree we should never do this, but
45 it is so ... tempting.
46
47 I've made the same mistake myself many many times, and each time it
48 came back and bit me hard :-)
52 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com