From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Vmware modules doesn't build for gentoo-2.6.9-gentoo-r3 kernel
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:08:52
1 On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:02:49 +0100, Bastian Balthazar Bux wrote:
2
3 > Martin Larsson wrote:
4 >
5 >>On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:58:14 -0600, Chris Cox <onebeer32@×××××××.com>
6 >>wrote:
9 >>>What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
10 >>>running
11 >>>kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.9-gentoo-r3/build/include]
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >>Maybe your header files are in /usr/src/linux/include ?
16
17 Or maybe you're using KERNEL_OUTPUT? In that case vmware modules
18 compilation fails badly before it has started. You can get my patched
19 ebuilds from my personal portage overlay at
20 rsync://rsync.gg3.net/gentoo-portage-chutz/app-emulation/vmware-workstation/.
21 These cut out large portions of vmware-config.pl that do nothing but ask
22 silly questions (like "where are your headers", since it is gentoo policy
23 that /usr/src/linux should point to your current kernel) and also patch
24 the appropriate makefiles.
25
26 > the ones installed by sys-kernel/linux26-headers are in
27 > /usr/include/linux. BTW can someone explain me why this package exist?
28 > It's not enaugh the linux ones, the only answer I can give myself is not
29 > to be constricted to recompile a bunch of programs every time u change
30 > kernel. It's the right answer ?
31
32 glibc compiles against the headers in /usr/include/linux.
33 Programs that link against glibc (read: all programs) need to include the
34 headers that glibc was built against in order to link properly. These
35 headers need to always correspond to the version that glibc was compiled
36 against. Hence the warnings that the linux-headers ebuild spits out at
37 installation, reminding you to recompile glibc next.
40 ) Georgi Georgiev ) Anyone who has had a bull by the tail )
41 ( chutz@×××.net ( knows five or six more things than someone (
42 ) +81(90)6266-1163 ) who hasn't. -- Mark Twain )
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list