From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New mobo change
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 15:53:20
1 On Fri, October 18, 2013 05:33, Dale wrote:
2 > Bruce Hill wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 04:40:52PM -0500, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Well, this is interesting. I swapped out the mobo. First, it has the
5 >>> UEFI BIOS thing. That was interesting for sure. I'm not complaining
6 >>> but not used to it and wasn't expecting it either. Second, it works
7 >>> except for the third part. Third thing is, no mouse worky. It works
8 >>> in
9 >>> the BIOS but not in the OS. I have gpm set to start and it doesn't
10 >>> work
11 >>> in a console or a GUI. I tried everything I can think of, no mouse. I
12 >>> had to swap again. I'm back to my old mobo. Here is the kicker. I
13 >>> plugged the USB mouse into the old mobo, it works just fine. It works
14 >>> in KDE, console etc. It just works. The only kernel change I made was
15 >>> for the chipset on the mobo. I left the USB stuff alone.
16 >>>
17 >>> Instead of me posting a lot of worthless stuff, what do y'all need me
19 >>> post? Keep in mind, I'm on my old mobo and it works on here. I got
20 >>> the
21 >>> kernel config tho. It's a start, I hope? I followed this wiki howto.
22 >>>
23 >>> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/USB/HOWTO
24 >>>
25 >>> Thoughts? What do you need to figure this out?
26 >>>
27 >>> Dale
28 >> Obliviously something simple, but why don't you throw your BB gun in the
29 >> truck
30 >> and come over so we can sight in the .44 magnum?
31 >>
32 >> Put all the stuff on the new mobo, boot with SystemRescueCD, see that
33 >> the
34 >> mouse works, take 2 aspirins, and let's go from there.
35 >
36 > That was my plan B, Sysrescue. It wouldn't boot either. It gets to the
37 > point where it is trying to find the USB stick, then errors out because
38 > it can't find it which is odd since it is plugged into a USB port and
39 > the mousey don't work from there either. Thing is, it works just fine
40 > with the old mobo. I actually tested it, mounted some stuff and
41 > everything. Works fine on old mobo, errors out on the new one. I also
42 > switched back to the legacy and desabled the UEFI stuff. It still
43 > didn't work. It does try to boot from it tho so it does see the USB
44 > stick at first. It just can't see it later on. Hmmmm.
45
46 Is USB-support ENABLED in the BIOS-settings?
47
48 Current (From last 5+ years?) BIOSs (and especially UEFI ones) should be
49 able to boot Sysrescue from USB.
50
51 If it can't, I would suspect USB being disabled, or the USB ports on the
52 mainboard being broken.
53
54 It might also be a legacy support setting that needs enabling/disabling?
57 Joost