From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 08:53:35
1 On Thursday 05 May 2016 08:58:06 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I had this just yesterday. The libraries of the SystemRescueCD are not
4 > 64 bits.
5 >
6 > So, you have to proceed as follows.
7 >
8 > Boot RescueCD with the alternative 64 bit kernel (and select the option
9 > to load all files into memory)
10 >
11 > mkdir /oroot
12 >
13 > ... mount the partition where you installed Gentoo on /oroot
14 >
15 > mount --bind /proc /oroot/proc
16 > mount --rbind /dev /oroot/dev
17 >
18 > chroot /oroot /bin/bash
19 > env-update
20 > source /etc/profile
21 >
22 > ... and now you are in business
23 >
24 > e.g.
25 >
26 > cd /usr/src/linux-????
27 >
28 > make menuconfig or oldconfig
29 > make -j8
30 > make install
31 > make modules modules_install
32 >
33 > Don't forget to install grub while you are in this chroot environment.
34 >
35 > Then, exit from the chroot environment and reboot.
36
37 None of which will work unless the OP's booted his CD in UEFI mode to start
38 with. That means, if his system is like mine, having the CD inserted before
39 starting, prodding <DEL> or whatever until the BIOS screen comes up, then
40 picking the optical drive in UEFI mode, then booting that.
41
42 Then the option to load all files into RAM is not available.
43
44 Also, grub is a total failure on this box: it just isn't detected. So I use
45 gummiboot instead. It's also far, far easier to manage if you have more than
46 one kernel to choose from, and it saves you having to learn all that
47 baroquery. Frankly, I'm glad to see the back of grub-2.
50 Rgds
51 Peter