From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Best anti-virus
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 14:58:46
1 forgottenwizard wrote:
2 > On 20:13 Fri 09 May , 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
3 >> I am extremely pleased with Antivir (aka Avira) and its realtime LKM,
4 >> Dazuko!
5 >>
6 >> 1. The Antivir database and heuristics contain dozens of Linux-specific
7 >> rootkits and Trojans. These in addition to Windows sigs. FWICT, the only
8 >> freeware AntiMalware that take Linux seriously (Kaspersky payware does).
9 >>
10 >> 2. With Dazuko - a LKM, developed by AntiVir/Avira which provides
11 >> real-time, on-access (read/write) scanning within directories you specify
12 >> in configuration. I scan mail (in a chroot jail), browser and downloads
13 >> (within a chroot jail, within RamDisk), Portage and portage work areas, and
14 >> /home.
15 >>
16 >> Given that emerges are done with Root privilege, this scanning for
17 >> signatures may keep your box from being borked, should someone hack a
18 >> distribution site, or poison the DNS system, or etc.
19 >>
20 >> 3. Recent testing by Windows testers indicate that Antivir is now one of
21 >> the better windows AV's, and that their heuristics are quite effective. I'd
22 >> guess the same to be true for 'ix.
23 >>
24 >> 4. It scans for Linux screwups. :-) :-) e.g. here's one that I have left
25 >> unrepaired because I think it's so great:
26 >>
27 >> "ANTIVIR 2008-05-05_05:49:12.39449 Mon May 5 01:49:12 2008 WARNING: file
28 >> '/etc/openvpn/trustconnect/pwd' is group or others accessible"
29 >>
30 >> 5. its heuristics have notified me of XSS script attacks (at test sites)
31 >> after scanning scripts loaded into the browser cache, with "suspicious
32 >> script" warnings - and blocking that script from use by the browser. The
33 >> only other tool of similar function that I know of is "NoScript", an
34 >> extension for use in FireFox.
35 >>
36 >> 6. I run WAN/LAN-connected applications in chroot jails (Grsecurity
37 >> Hardened). Anything downloaded into a browser jail, lftp or TBird jail is
38 >> moved to a "download" area via a script that invokes a deep scan by Antivir
39 >> after it gets there. Dazuko invokes a second scan, as it also monitors
40 >> that area.
41 >>
42 >> 7. AntiVir is not in portage. Dazuko is. Dazuko can be used with other
43 >> AntiMalwares, or customized to respond to user-created tests (e.g. changed
44 >> file).
45 >>
46 >> 8. Linux and Unix oldtimers will scoff at real-time malware scanning - but
47 >> I'm convinced that in todays world, realtime scanning is one important
48 >> thing (perhaps the only thing) that we can learn from Windows.
49 >>
50 >> HTH
53 > I think alot of old-timers also realize that, unless you specifically
54 > allow something to run, then it can't hurt you.
55
56 Agreed! Keep the power off; allow nothing to run; a safe state.
59 > Chances are, unless you are allowing XSS and are surfing sites you can't
60 > trust, you're close to bullet-proof, with the exception of program
61 > exploits that you really can't do anything about.
62
63 Well, nowadays you can take a significant steps against "those" exploits
64 as well - memory protection and RBAC are two obvious ones. Hardened
65 kernels and hardened chroot jails also effectively confine many of
66 "those" exploits.
67
68 Realtime Linux Anti-Trojan signature scanning overhead is simply cheap
69 (almost free) insurance IMHO, and may be most important when compiling
70 and installing new or updated sourcecode. Or installing a new plugin to
71 your browser; or opening a media file.
72
73 But I sure acknowledge the majority opinion - almost ALL Linux users,
74 and many Windows users as well, choose not to run real-time
75 AntiMalware scanners.
88 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list