From: forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Best anti-virus
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 00:55:59
1 On 20:13 Fri 09 May , 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
2 > I am extremely pleased with Antivir (aka Avira) and its realtime LKM,
3 > Dazuko!
4 >
5 > 1. The Antivir database and heuristics contain dozens of Linux-specific
6 > rootkits and Trojans. These in addition to Windows sigs. FWICT, the only
7 > freeware AntiMalware that take Linux seriously (Kaspersky payware does).
8 >
9 > 2. With Dazuko - a LKM, developed by AntiVir/Avira which provides
10 > real-time, on-access (read/write) scanning within directories you specify
11 > in configuration. I scan mail (in a chroot jail), browser and downloads
12 > (within a chroot jail, within RamDisk), Portage and portage work areas, and
13 > /home.
14 >
15 > Given that emerges are done with Root privilege, this scanning for
16 > signatures may keep your box from being borked, should someone hack a
17 > distribution site, or poison the DNS system, or etc.
18 >
19 > 3. Recent testing by Windows testers indicate that Antivir is now one of
20 > the better windows AV's, and that their heuristics are quite effective. I'd
21 > guess the same to be true for 'ix.
22 >
23 > 4. It scans for Linux screwups. :-) :-) e.g. here's one that I have left
24 > unrepaired because I think it's so great:
25 >
26 > "ANTIVIR 2008-05-05_05:49:12.39449 Mon May 5 01:49:12 2008 WARNING: file
27 > '/etc/openvpn/trustconnect/pwd' is group or others accessible"
28 >
29 > 5. its heuristics have notified me of XSS script attacks (at test sites)
30 > after scanning scripts loaded into the browser cache, with "suspicious
31 > script" warnings - and blocking that script from use by the browser. The
32 > only other tool of similar function that I know of is "NoScript", an
33 > extension for use in FireFox.
34 >
35 > 6. I run WAN/LAN-connected applications in chroot jails (Grsecurity
36 > Hardened). Anything downloaded into a browser jail, lftp or TBird jail is
37 > moved to a "download" area via a script that invokes a deep scan by Antivir
38 > after it gets there. Dazuko invokes a second scan, as it also monitors
39 > that area.
40 >
41 > 7. AntiVir is not in portage. Dazuko is. Dazuko can be used with other
42 > AntiMalwares, or customized to respond to user-created tests (e.g. changed
43 > file).
44 >
45 > 8. Linux and Unix oldtimers will scoff at real-time malware scanning - but
46 > I'm convinced that in todays world, realtime scanning is one important
47 > thing (perhaps the only thing) that we can learn from Windows.
48 >
49 > HTH
52 I think alot of old-timers also realize that, unless you specifically
53 allow something to run, then it can't hurt you.
54
55 Chances are, unless you are allowing XSS and are surfing sites you can't
56 trust, you're close to bullet-proof, with the exception of program
57 exploits that you really can't do anything about.
60 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list