From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Best anti-virus
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 00:13:16
1 Tony Caudel wrote:
2 > I am currently using the clamv anti-virus program. I was wondering if there
3 > is a better one for Gentoo, especially one that integrates well with
4 > Thunderbird. That has been my one disappointment with clamav. Not
5 > necessarily clamav's fault since T/B maintains its emails in one long file.
6 >
7 > Tony
10 I am extremely pleased with Antivir (aka Avira) and its realtime LKM,
11 Dazuko!
12
13 1. The Antivir database and heuristics contain dozens of Linux-specific
14 rootkits and Trojans. These in addition to Windows sigs. FWICT, the
15 only freeware AntiMalware that take Linux seriously (Kaspersky payware
16 does).
17
18 2. With Dazuko - a LKM, developed by AntiVir/Avira which provides
19 real-time, on-access (read/write) scanning within directories you
20 specify in configuration. I scan mail (in a chroot jail), browser and
21 downloads (within a chroot jail, within RamDisk), Portage and portage
22 work areas, and /home.
23
24 Given that emerges are done with Root privilege, this scanning for
25 signatures may keep your box from being borked, should someone hack a
26 distribution site, or poison the DNS system, or etc.
27
28 3. Recent testing by Windows testers indicate that Antivir is now one
29 of the better windows AV's, and that their heuristics are quite
30 effective. I'd guess the same to be true for 'ix.
31
32 4. It scans for Linux screwups. :-) :-) e.g. here's one that I have left
33 unrepaired because I think it's so great:
34
35 "ANTIVIR 2008-05-05_05:49:12.39449 Mon May 5 01:49:12 2008 WARNING:
36 file '/etc/openvpn/trustconnect/pwd' is group or others accessible"
37
38 5. its heuristics have notified me of XSS script attacks (at test sites)
39 after scanning scripts loaded into the browser cache, with "suspicious
40 script" warnings - and blocking that script from use by the browser. The
41 only other tool of similar function that I know of is "NoScript", an
42 extension for use in FireFox.
43
44 6. I run WAN/LAN-connected applications in chroot jails (Grsecurity
45 Hardened). Anything downloaded into a browser jail, lftp or TBird jail
46 is moved to a "download" area via a script that invokes a deep scan by
47 Antivir after it gets there. Dazuko invokes a second scan, as it also
48 monitors that area.
49
50 7. AntiVir is not in portage. Dazuko is. Dazuko can be used with other
51 AntiMalwares, or customized to respond to user-created tests (e.g.
52 changed file).
53
54 8. Linux and Unix oldtimers will scoff at real-time malware scanning -
55 but I'm convinced that in todays world, realtime scanning is one
56 important thing (perhaps the only thing) that we can learn from Windows.
57
58 HTH
63 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list