From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] partitioning for multimedia performance and dual-booting linux/windex
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:21:05
1 On Thursday 20 April 2006 00:46 Neil Bothwick was like:
2 > > Am I correct in understanding that I can use LVM2 to stripe a volume
3 > > across more than one disk, just like a raid 0 setup, even if the disks
4 > > are quite dissimilar? Would it be possible (or worthwhile) to allocate
5 > > my old 40GB disk and a portion of my new disk (say another 40GB) to a
6 > > single logical volume to be used as a fast audio and video
7 > > scratchspace? (For Linux, that is -- I am aware that it wouldn't be
8 > > accessible from Windows). I would keep the rest of disk in normal
9 > > partitions to reduce the risk of losing all my data to disk failure.
10 >
11 > It is perfectly possible, but performance may suffer if one disk is
12 > slower than the other, compared with using the fast disk alone. Another
13 > option may be to use the old disk for the operating systems and the new
14 > one for data. Speed of the OS disk only affects program loading time,
15 > you would then get maximum performance when using the programs.
16
17 Thanks for your help once again, Neil.
18
19 The problem I am trying to solve is less about getting best all-round disk
20 performance than it is to get super-duper disk performance when doing
21 extremely disk intensive tasks such as video and audio editing. I'm not sure
22 that having the OS or the swap on different disks because if I have enough
23 memory I shouldn't need to access them very much while doing the audio and
24 video stuff.
25
26 The disks are probably not too dissimilar in terms of read and write speed
27 (I'll need to look up the specs to verify this). However the cache sizes are
28 quite different: 1MB as opposed to 8MB. Would the smaller cache make the
29 older disk much slower in practice when it comes to writing or reading very
30 large files -- slow enough to bog down the other one if a volume was striped
31 across them?
32
33 Robert
36 Robert Persson
37
38 Conspiracy Bears:
39 Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list