From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] partitioning for multimedia performance and dual-booting linux/windex
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:52:18
1 On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:11:55 -0700, Robert Persson wrote:
2
3 > Am I correct in understanding that I can use LVM2 to stripe a volume
4 > across more than one disk, just like a raid 0 setup, even if the disks
5 > are quite dissimilar? Would it be possible (or worthwhile) to allocate
6 > my old 40GB disk and a portion of my new disk (say another 40GB) to a
7 > single logical volume to be used as a fast audio and video
8 > scratchspace? (For Linux, that is -- I am aware that it wouldn't be
9 > accessible from Windows). I would keep the rest of disk in normal
10 > partitions to reduce the risk of losing all my data to disk failure.
11
12 It is perfectly possible, but performance may suffer if one disk is
13 slower than the other, compared with using the fast disk alone. Another
14 option may be to use the old disk for the operating systems and the new
15 one for data. Speed of the OS disk only affects program loading time,
16 you would then get maximum performance when using the programs.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.