From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Small (as in footprint) window manager
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 22:23:46
1 ratpoison is a good option for mythtv - no mouse but it maps keyboard to
2 window manager functions.  Ideal for using a remote as its easy to map
3 the keys.
4
5 BillK
8 On 3/12/18 4:54 am, Daniel Frey wrote:
9 > On 12/2/18 11:14 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
10 >>
11 >> MythTV's requirement to use a GUI setup program on a "headless"
12 >> server, always seemed like a massively stupid design decision.
13 >
14 > Yes, it was a dumb decision. However, I suppose it's better than
15 > having to edit that by hand... they could've uses a cli or curses
16 > interface or something.
19 >> That said, it's been many years since I've run MythTV.  I switched to
20 >> SageTV because of the brilliantly small and silent set-top-boxes. But
21 >> Google bought SageTV and pulled the plug on that, so a year or two
22 >> back I switched to Plex (which you configure via a web UI).  The Plex
23 >> plugin for OSMC/Kodi has a clumsy UI, but works pretty well.  However,
24 >> the Plex app for Roku seems to be useless...
27 > I've only ever run MythTV. Lately though I use Kodi with Kodi's Myth
28 > plugin on all TVs but my living room TV and computer.
29 >
30 > Usually when I'm doing work to this I'm physically in front of it.
31 > Fluxbox seems nice, going to try windowmaker and it's terminal but gcc
32 > barfed compiling Objective-C support. Trying it again... one of my PCs
33 > compiled the objc USE-flag fine, and the other didn't.
36 > Dan
37 >