From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Copying encrypted files from a DVD
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 04:37:32
1 >> I'd like to back up the files on my DVD-Audio discs.  The files are
2 >> encrypted and I don't want to decrypt them, I just want to back them
3 >> up.  I'm getting I/O errors when I try to cp the files, and I'm
4 >> guessing it's because of the encryption.  Does anyone know of a method
5 >> that would back these discs up in their encrypted form?
6 >
7 > That doesn't work that way.  What you get is actually garbage and is not
8 > "encrypted" (otherwise you would be able to copy it to another DVD).
9 > Creating a copy of an audio DVD which is itself encrypted would defeat the
10 > purpose of a copy protection, since even though encrypted, it's still a
11 > copy, and the protection wants to prevent that.  If you can copy it, it
12 > wouldn't be protected :P
13
14 Not thinking clearly. Thank you Nikos.
15
16 - Grant
19 > I don't know of any software for Linux that can decrypt it, only for Windows
20 > and even then it's a bit hard to find since sites offering it are being
21 > hunted by American anti-piracy companies.