From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Copying encrypted files from a DVD
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 03:51:23
1 Grant wrote:
2 > I'd like to back up the files on my DVD-Audio discs. The files are
3 > encrypted and I don't want to decrypt them, I just want to back them
4 > up. I'm getting I/O errors when I try to cp the files, and I'm
5 > guessing it's because of the encryption. Does anyone know of a method
6 > that would back these discs up in their encrypted form?
7
8 That doesn't work that way. What you get is actually garbage and is not
9 "encrypted" (otherwise you would be able to copy it to another DVD).
10 Creating a copy of an audio DVD which is itself encrypted would defeat
11 the purpose of a copy protection, since even though encrypted, it's
12 still a copy, and the protection wants to prevent that. If you can copy
13 it, it wouldn't be protected :P
14
15 I don't know of any software for Linux that can decrypt it, only for
16 Windows and even then it's a bit hard to find since sites offering it
17 are being hunted by American anti-piracy companies.