From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Copying encrypted files from a DVD
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 10:37:44
1 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Grant wrote:
4 > > I'd like to back up the files on my DVD-Audio discs. The files are
5 > > encrypted and I don't want to decrypt them, I just want to back them
6 > > up. I'm getting I/O errors when I try to cp the files, and I'm
7 > > guessing it's because of the encryption. Does anyone know of a method
8 > > that would back these discs up in their encrypted form?
9 >
10 > That doesn't work that way. What you get is actually garbage and is not
11 > "encrypted" (otherwise you would be able to copy it to another DVD).
12 > Creating a copy of an audio DVD which is itself encrypted would defeat
13 > the purpose of a copy protection, since even though encrypted, it's
14 > still a copy, and the protection wants to prevent that. If you can copy
15 > it, it wouldn't be protected :P
16
17 There is no copy protection on a DVD. There is however a region specific
18 _usage_ "protection".
19
20 You should be able to copy the DVD using dvdbackup.
21
22 Jörg
25 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
26 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)