From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Copying encrypted files from a DVD
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 11:07:53
1 Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Grant wrote:
5 >>> I'd like to back up the files on my DVD-Audio discs. The files are
6 >>> encrypted and I don't want to decrypt them, I just want to back them
7 >>> up. I'm getting I/O errors when I try to cp the files, and I'm
8 >>> guessing it's because of the encryption. Does anyone know of a method
9 >>> that would back these discs up in their encrypted form?
10 >> That doesn't work that way. What you get is actually garbage and is not
11 >> "encrypted" (otherwise you would be able to copy it to another DVD).
12 >> Creating a copy of an audio DVD which is itself encrypted would defeat
13 >> the purpose of a copy protection, since even though encrypted, it's
14 >> still a copy, and the protection wants to prevent that. If you can copy
15 >> it, it wouldn't be protected :P
16 >
17 > There is no copy protection on a DVD. There is however a region specific
18 > _usage_ "protection".
19
20 DVD-Audio works different, utilizing other forms of protection unrelated
21 to video DVDs. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio