From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Extremely OT] Ansible/Puppet replacement
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:46:55
1 On 01/27/2015 03:49 AM, Tomas Mozes wrote:
2 >
3 > I haven't tested it yet, however I like the minimalistic syntax.
4
5 Thanks. Testing is kind of a high barrier; it took me hours to write a
6 role for jenkins.
9 > As an ansible user - do you plan to allow using default values for
10 > modules and/or variables?
13 I am not really a fan of default values; I prefer explicitness over
14 forcing someone to have a complete knowledge of bossman. For example,
15 one of my coworkers pointed out to me that
16
17 file /etc/ssh/sshd_config
18
19 should install `/etc/ssh/sshd_config` with whatever owner/permissions it
20 has on disk in the configuration files directory. In other words, he
21 wanted the implicit defaults to make it easier. Personally, I think this
22 is harder because now I have to care about permissions of a file that is
23 being copied and writing a role; instead I like having explicit roles in
24 which it is mandatory to type
25
26 file /etc/ssh/sshd_config root:root 600
27
28 This makes it easier to see everything on the same terminal, don't have
29 to care about local permissions, etc. I'm trying to write a config
30 manager that has the fewest amount of "gotchas" possible, and I think
31 that means that a role should explicitly describe the state a machine
32 should end up in.
33
34 I do not have variables, but I might add them if someone gives me a
35 compelling use case that cannot be done without them.
36
37 If this didn't answer your question, my bad. Thanks for the feedback. I
38 know a lot of the people on this list work full-time and have families;
39 there's always time to procrastinate on homework though ;)
40
41 Alec