From: Tomas Mozes <tomas.mozes@××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Extremely OT] Ansible/Puppet replacement
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:49:18
1 On 2015-01-26 16:30, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've been working on my own replacement for Bcfg2 - bossman[1] - over
5 > the past few months, and it's finally ready to be released in the wild.
6 > I would be honored if anyone on this list who's thinking of trying
7 > puppet, chef, ansible, bcfg2, etc. would try out bossman instead.
8 > bossman has an incredibly simple syntax; no ruby DSLs or XML. My main
9 > motivation for writing it was dealing with bcfg2's XML config on a
10 > daily
11 > basis. Additionally, bossman has a (hopefully) great 'pretend' mode and
12 > checks for a lot of errors.
13 >
14 > If you are already using another solution and have some time to check
15 > out bossman, I would love feedback. The only config manager I've used
16 > in
17 > practice is bcfg2, so getting perspectives from those using other
18 > solutions would be fantastic.
19 >
20 > bossman is written in C99 and is built with CMake.
21 >
22 > I don't recommend it for production deployments quite yet, but I plan
23 > on
24 > actively working on it. It currently only supports pulling
25 > configuration
26 > from a mounted filesystem (i.e. local disk, NFS, etc.), but HTTP
27 > support
28 > (and a deployment tutorial/guide) will be added in v0.2.
29 >
30 > I'm sorry to spam gentoo-user, but I'm not sure who else would be
31 > interested in something like this. Also, feel free to email me with
32 > bugs
33 > in the code or documentation, or open something in GitHub's issue
34 > tracker.
35 >
36 > Alec
37 >
38 > [1] https://github.com/trozamon/bossman/archive/v0.1.0.tar.gz
39 >
40 > [2] https://github.com/trozamon/bossman-roles
41
42 I haven't tested it yet, however I like the minimalistic syntax.
43
44 As an ansible user - do you plan to allow using default values for
45 modules and/or variables?