From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [Extremely OT] Ansible/Puppet replacement
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 15:30:50
1 Hi,
2
3 I've been working on my own replacement for Bcfg2 - bossman[1] - over
4 the past few months, and it's finally ready to be released in the wild.
5 I would be honored if anyone on this list who's thinking of trying
6 puppet, chef, ansible, bcfg2, etc. would try out bossman instead.
7 bossman has an incredibly simple syntax; no ruby DSLs or XML. My main
8 motivation for writing it was dealing with bcfg2's XML config on a daily
9 basis. Additionally, bossman has a (hopefully) great 'pretend' mode and
10 checks for a lot of errors.
11
12 If you are already using another solution and have some time to check
13 out bossman, I would love feedback. The only config manager I've used in
14 practice is bcfg2, so getting perspectives from those using other
15 solutions would be fantastic.
16
17 bossman is written in C99 and is built with CMake.
18
19 I don't recommend it for production deployments quite yet, but I plan on
20 actively working on it. It currently only supports pulling configuration
21 from a mounted filesystem (i.e. local disk, NFS, etc.), but HTTP support
22 (and a deployment tutorial/guide) will be added in v0.2.
23
24 I'm sorry to spam gentoo-user, but I'm not sure who else would be
25 interested in something like this. Also, feel free to email me with bugs
26 in the code or documentation, or open something in GitHub's issue tracker.
27
28 Alec
29
30 [1] https://github.com/trozamon/bossman/archive/v0.1.0.tar.gz