From: plougher <phillip.lougher@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What can I use for a compressed file system?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 18:19:43
1 William Kenworthy wrote
2 > This is what I currently use: But I dont have room for two archives, and
3 > this method doesnt keep versions. Trying to keep incrementals using
4 > this has proven to be a disaster.
5
6 Even though Squashfs is read-only (and so is tar, cpio etc.), you can append
7 to pre-existing Squashfs filesystems without needing to decompress and then
8 recompress the filesystem. Because Squashfs detects duplicates, and renames
9 duplicated files (in the top level directory) at appending, this supports
10 simple incremental versioning.
11
12 For example, you could archive directory "data", delete it, and later add
13 directories "a" and "b" to the archive without needing the disk space to
14 decompress directory "data".
15
16 If you kept the "data" directory, and later added new files to it, or
17 modified files, adding the "data" directory to the Squashfs archive a second
18 time would create two directories "data", the first version, and "data_1"
19 the second version. Only files that have been added or have changed in the
20 data directory will be added to the Squashfs archive, the other files
21 (presumably the bulk) will be be detected as duplicates and not added.
22
23 Phillip Lougher
27 Sent from the gentoo-user forum at Nabble.com.
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list