From: Norman Invasion <invasivenorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs [SOLVED, sort of]
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 15:43:15
1 On 12 May 2012 11:05, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Norman Invasion writes:
3 >
4 >> On 11 May 2012 21:40, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >> > Finally, I found something. It's Dolphin!
6 > [...]
7 >> Apologies: I haven't followed this thread from the beginning,
8 >
9 > Which was quite long ago :)
10 >
11 >> but do you have any advanced power management features
12 >> enabled (especially hard drive related)?
13 >
14 > My drives spin down after 30 minutes of idle time, but this never happens
15 > for the system drive. The CPU is set to throttle down from 3600 MHz to
16 > 1400 MHz with the ondemand governor, but changing to performance governor
17 > makes no change.
18 >
19 >> When I pull the power cord on my lap-top, it goes into all kinds
20 >> of nutty "power-saving" and mplayer has long pauses while
21 >> the drive spins back up.
22 >
23 > Yeah, but those pauses are much longer than the small interruptions that
24 > are a fraction of a second mostly, and do not happen 15 times per minute.
25 > And it only happens when MPlayer is started from Dolphin. Well, mainly,
26 > when there is much system load, I also had small interruptions when I run
27 > mplayer from the command line, but they are much much less frequent, and
28 > do not happen under normal circumstances, like when doing emerges while
29 > playing videos.
32 I'm just recalling that I get stuttering audio in freebsd, which is caused
33 by what-I-don't-know, but only happens when the CPU load is low.
34 Firing up burncpu or doing useless recompiles ameliorates it.