From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs [SOLVED, sort of]
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 09:00:49
1 On Sat, 12 May 2012 11:41:33 -0400
2 Norman Invasion <invasivenorman@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 12 May 2012 11:05, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > Norman Invasion writes:
6 > >
7 > >> On 11 May 2012 21:40, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
8 > >> > Finally, I found something. It's Dolphin!
9 > > [...]
10 > >> Apologies: I haven't followed this thread from the beginning,
11 > >
12 > > Which was quite long ago :)
13 > >
14 > >> but do you have any advanced power management features
15 > >> enabled (especially hard drive related)?
16 > >
17 > > My drives spin down after 30 minutes of idle time, but this never
18 > > happens for the system drive. The CPU is set to throttle down from
19 > > 3600 MHz to 1400 MHz with the ondemand governor, but changing to
20 > > performance governor makes no change.
21 > >
22 > >> When I pull the power cord on my lap-top, it goes into all kinds
23 > >> of nutty "power-saving" and mplayer has long pauses while
24 > >> the drive spins back up.
25 > >
26 > > Yeah, but those pauses are much longer than the small interruptions
27 > > that are a fraction of a second mostly, and do not happen 15 times
28 > > per minute. And it only happens when MPlayer is started from
29 > > Dolphin. Well, mainly, when there is much system load, I also had
30 > > small interruptions when I run mplayer from the command line, but
31 > > they are much much less frequent, and do not happen under normal
32 > > circumstances, like when doing emerges while playing videos.
35 > I'm just recalling that I get stuttering audio in freebsd, which is
36 > caused by what-I-don't-know, but only happens when the CPU load is
37 > low. Firing up burncpu or doing useless recompiles ameliorates it.
40 I was getting stuttering audio from a sizeable % of my .avi files
41 served from a FreeBSD NAS. The likely cause became obvious when I
42 noticed that it was only on .avi files - all real containers were
43 fine[1].
44
45 mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -of avi -o <new_file> <old_file>
46
47 fixed it permanently. I'm won't go so far as to say this might apply
48 to your issue, but sometimes the simplest things are the actual
49 causes :-)
52 [1] .avi files are notorious for this shit. It's what happens when you
53 are Microsoft and you release any old crappy format without consulting
54 the other experts out there (who will always outnumber you)
58 Alan McKinnnon
59 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com