From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs [SOLVED, sort of]
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 18:13:50
1 On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > [1] .avi files are notorious for this shit. It's what happens when you
3 > are Microsoft and you release any old crappy format without consulting
4 > the other experts out there (who will always outnumber you)
5
6 Which better container formats were available at the time AVI was
7 released (1992)? The only contemporary container format I'm aware of
8 is RIFF, which came out in 1988. MPEG-1 didn't come out until 1993,
9 which was the same year the Ogg project started. Real's stuff didn't
10 come out until 1995. Matroska was announced a decade later, in 2005.
11
12 Matroska, MP4 and even OGG are nicer container formats, sure, but they
13 weren't around yet. And even with any of them, it's perfectly possible
14 to accidentally get A/V desync or stuttering if you don't mux your
15 streams properly.
16
17 (This post draws heavily on Wikipedia for date information, and dates
18 may be considered only as accurate as Wikipedia...)
21 :wq