From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs [SOLVED, sort of]
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 20:57:51
1 On Sun, 13 May 2012 14:12:04 -0400
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Alan McKinnon
5 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > [1] .avi files are notorious for this shit. It's what happens when
7 > > you are Microsoft and you release any old crappy format without
8 > > consulting the other experts out there (who will always outnumber
9 > > you)
10 >
11 > Which better container formats were available at the time AVI was
12 > released (1992)? The only contemporary container format I'm aware of
13 > is RIFF, which came out in 1988. MPEG-1 didn't come out until 1993,
14 > which was the same year the Ogg project started. Real's stuff didn't
15 > come out until 1995. Matroska was announced a decade later, in 2005.
16 >
17 > Matroska, MP4 and even OGG are nicer container formats, sure, but they
18 > weren't around yet. And even with any of them, it's perfectly possible
19 > to accidentally get A/V desync or stuttering if you don't mux your
20 > streams properly.
21 >
22 > (This post draws heavily on Wikipedia for date information, and dates
23 > may be considered only as accurate as Wikipedia...)
26 You missed the essence of my post entirely.
29 Alan McKinnnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com