From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs [SOLVED, sort of]
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 21:03:48
1 On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 13 May 2012 14:12:04 -0400
3 > Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Alan McKinnon
6 >> <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> > [1] .avi files are notorious for this shit. It's what happens when
8 >> > you are Microsoft and you release any old crappy format without
9 >> > consulting the other experts out there (who will always outnumber
10 >> > you)
11 >>
12 >> Which better container formats were available at the time AVI was
13 >> released (1992)? The only contemporary container format I'm aware of
14 >> is RIFF, which came out in 1988. MPEG-1 didn't come out until 1993,
15 >> which was the same year the Ogg project started. Real's stuff didn't
16 >> come out until 1995. Matroska was announced a decade later, in 2005.
17 >>
18 >> Matroska, MP4 and even OGG are nicer container formats, sure, but they
19 >> weren't around yet. And even with any of them, it's perfectly possible
20 >> to accidentally get A/V desync or stuttering if you don't mux your
21 >> streams properly.
22 >>
23 >> (This post draws heavily on Wikipedia for date information, and dates
24 >> may be considered only as accurate as Wikipedia...)
27 > You missed the essence of my post entirely.
28
29 Anti-Microsoft snark? I thought I was calling you on it.
32 :wq