From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] requirements for a gentoo wlan accesspoint
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 13:42:57
1 On 4 January 2012, at 18:19, Tamer Higazi wrote:
2 > …
3 > I want to make my linux machine being a wlan access point for my other
4 > components like Notebook, Cell phone etc...
5
6 If you just want to temporarily share then I think "access point" is unimportant - can't you use "ad hoc" mode?
7
8 "Access point" means getting a wifi card which supports master mode. Not all do.
9
10 I question whether this is worth the bother - routers are just too cheap.
11
12 If you want to do something complicated, which is not available in the menus of your $20 wifi router, then run OpenWRT Linux on a $40 router.
13
14 The extra cost of a recent router will quickly pay for itself in electricity savings, over leaving your big desktop PC on when you only want to surf the net on your netbook.
15
16 Stroller.