From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE4 printer config question
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 11:21:51
1 On Tuesday 09 March 2010 04:48:51 Roy Wright wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > OK, installed KDE 4.4.1 on an older box (BE-2400 4GB ~x86), seems to
5 > be working pretty good. But am having trouble trying to figure out
6 > the kde way to configure a network (cups on a kubuntu system)
7 > printer.
8 >
9 > From system_settings, Printer Configuration, the Server Settings are
10 > all disabled. I think I need to set "Show printers shared by other
11 > systems". So first tried running system_settings as root to see
12 > if it's an authentication issue, no luck, still disabled. Next did
13 > some googling and thought maybe need to use kauth to allow it, again
14 > no luck. Any good tutorials on how to use kauth?
15 >
16 > So any ideas on what piece of the puzzle I'm missing?
17
18 Sounds to me as though you haven't set CUPS up right on the machine
19 connected to the printer. You need it to allow other machines on your
20 network to print, and maybe to administer CUPS if you want to move
21 printer administration to another box.
22
23 > On a side topic, I had cloned the System Settings menu item to set
24 > one version up to run as root. The new menu item does not show up
25 > in the new menu manager, but does using old style menus. Any
26 > pointers on how to add items to the new menu style?
27
28 You shouldn't need to be root on the client box to connect to printers
29 on the server box.
32 Rgds
33 Peter.