From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Freeing up disk space problem!!
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 01:01:15
1 On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 02:11:41PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > I've never failed to fix that by deleting a file as the user that
4 > > created it, usually the partial file that caused the problem, but I
5 > > can see why you may want to keep a small amount reserved for that.
6 > >
7 > > However, I still don't get the "-m 0 increases fragmentation" thing.
11 > Yeah, that sounds like an old wives tale urban myth to me too
12 >
13 > I'll be wanting to be seeing the output of real diagnostic programs
14
15 All that does, as far as I understand it, is to fool $user into having less
16 space available. So if the partition only has as much space left as is
17 reserved for root, he just can't write anymore.
18
19 It just means that before the drive gets physically full (which means that
20 files will fragment more), it will get logically full earlier. This is why
21 there can be expected less fragmentation under extreme circumstances (i.e. an
22 almost full FS).
23 --
24 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
25 I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.
26
27 When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
28 ... and so do I. – Alf