From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 10:42:57
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 10:43:12 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >>> No matter how many drives you have, I doubt you'll need more than one
6 >>> volume group.
7 >>>
8 >> ...although I did find not long ago that a second VG for another,
9 >> temporary distro kept things tidy.. This is not to contradict you
10 >> though.
11 >>
12 > Oh yes, and I have two VGs on my desktop, because I want to keep backups
13 > completely separate. But for the usage Dale has mentioned, one VG is
14 > best. If for no other reason that multiple VGs reduce the flexibility of
15 > LVM.
20 And I wouldn't put another distro on here anyway. I wuv my Gentoo. <
21 dale hugs the Gentoo bytes on the drive platters > lol I think for me,
22 just one would be enough.
23
24 One more question. When I buy another drive, I use pvcreate to get the
25 new drive ready for LVM. What command adds it to the VG? Is it
26 vgcreate with some option? I was sort of looking for something like
27 vgadd or something but no luck finding that. Maybe I am missing it on
28 the howtos.
29
30 Dale
31