From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reopen: OpenOffice dies on startup
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 21:28:58
1 Am Mittwoch, 8. Oktober 2008 23:33:52 schrieb b.n.:
2
3 > Dirk Heinrichs ha scritto:
4 > > Am Mittwoch 08 Oktober 2008 04:23:35 schrieb ext Kevin O'Gorman:
5 > >> I'm about to compile, but I hate that solution.
6 > >
7 > > Why did you choose Gentoo, then? Only by compiling OOo, you will get one
8 > > that fits into _your_ system.
9 >
10 > I don't think Gentoo is about being forced to compile.
11
12 It's a source based (meta-) distribution. So yes, you are forced to compile,
13 unless you install GRP and stay with it.
14
15 > I think it is about being able to choose the best solution that fits
16 > your _needs_ ,before your system.
17
18 If it doesn't fit your system, it's not even able to fit your needs (because
19 in this case, it simply doesn't run).
20
21 > That's why binary packages are provided. Sometimes compiling is just not
22 > the best option.
23
24 Yes, if there is no other alternative.
25
26 OTOH, installing a big, complex software package like OOo as a binary that was
27 compiled with unknown options (aka USE flags) on a completely different system
28 into a system that was installed from sources, with eventually completely
29 different USE flags set can't be the best option. It may or may not work.
30
31 Bye...
32
33 Dirk