From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reopen: OpenOffice dies on startup
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 21:55:20
1 On 10/8/08, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Am Mittwoch, 8. Oktober 2008 23:33:52 schrieb b.n.:
5 > > Dirk Heinrichs ha scritto:
6 > > > Am Mittwoch 08 Oktober 2008 04:23:35 schrieb ext Kevin O'Gorman:
7 > > >> I'm about to compile, but I hate that solution.
8 > > >
9 > > > Why did you choose Gentoo, then? Only by compiling OOo, you will get one
10 > > > that fits into _your_ system.
11 > >
12 > > I don't think Gentoo is about being forced to compile.
15 > It's a source based (meta-) distribution. So yes, you are forced to compile,
16 > unless you install GRP and stay with it.
19 > > I think it is about being able to choose the best solution that fits
20 > > your _needs_ ,before your system.
23 > If it doesn't fit your system, it's not even able to fit your needs (because
24 > in this case, it simply doesn't run).
27 > > That's why binary packages are provided. Sometimes compiling is just not
28 > > the best option.
31 > Yes, if there is no other alternative.
32 >
33 > OTOH, installing a big, complex software package like OOo as a binary that was
34 > compiled with unknown options (aka USE flags) on a completely different system
35 > into a system that was installed from sources, with eventually completely
36 > different USE flags set can't be the best option. It may or may not work.
37 >
38 > Bye...
41 > Dirk
45 For me, the reasons are
46 1. I wanted Gentoo for the toolchain and the things I'm developing.
47 These are the things where I wanted support tailored to my 2xXeon (4
48 core) system.
49
50 2. I've been using Oo-bin because it worked, and efficiency didn't
51 matter because
52 I don't even use it every week. Compiling it takes a day or so and
53 accordingly it was spending more time compiling than I was spending
54 using it. Now it no longer works and I'll probably use Word on my
55 wife's laptop. But I won't like it.
62 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD