From: Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reopen: OpenOffice dies on startup
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 01:28:06
1 On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 10/8/08, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> wrote:
3 >> > > Am Mittwoch 08 Oktober 2008 04:23:35 schrieb ext Kevin O'Gorman:
4 >> > > Why did you choose Gentoo, then? Only by compiling OOo, you will get one
5 >> > > that fits into _your_ system.
6 >
7 > For me, the reasons are
8 > 1. I wanted Gentoo for the toolchain and the things I'm developing.
9 > These are the things where I wanted support tailored to my 2xXeon (4
10 > core) system.
11 >
12 > 2. I've been using Oo-bin because it worked, and efficiency didn't
13 > matter because
14 > I don't even use it every week. Compiling it takes a day or so and
15 > accordingly it was spending more time compiling than I was spending
16 > using it. Now it no longer works and I'll probably use Word on my
17 > wife's laptop. But I won't like it.
18 Your system is 4 core and it takes a day to compile OOo? Something
19 sounds very off.
20 Honestly, my 3 year old laptop which has 1 core and a 1.8 GHz Turion
21 with 2GB of DDR333 takes 4 hours to compile.
22 What are you running apart from emerge (e.g. X, firefox, etc.)?
26 Andrey Vul
27
28 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
29 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
30 A: Top-posting.
31 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?