From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reopen: OpenOffice dies on startup
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 03:33:03
1 On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 10/8/08, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> wrote:
4 >>> > > Am Mittwoch 08 Oktober 2008 04:23:35 schrieb ext Kevin O'Gorman:
5 >>> > > Why did you choose Gentoo, then? Only by compiling OOo, you will get one
6 >>> > > that fits into _your_ system.
7 >>
8 >> For me, the reasons are
9 >> 1. I wanted Gentoo for the toolchain and the things I'm developing.
10 >> These are the things where I wanted support tailored to my 2xXeon (4
11 >> core) system.
12 >>
13 >> 2. I've been using Oo-bin because it worked, and efficiency didn't
14 >> matter because
15 >> I don't even use it every week. Compiling it takes a day or so and
16 >> accordingly it was spending more time compiling than I was spending
17 >> using it. Now it no longer works and I'll probably use Word on my
18 >> wife's laptop. But I won't like it.
19 > Your system is 4 core and it takes a day to compile OOo? Something
20 > sounds very off.
21 > Honestly, my 3 year old laptop which has 1 core and a 1.8 GHz Turion
22 > with 2GB of DDR333 takes 4 hours to compile.
23 > What are you running apart from emerge (e.g. X, firefox, etc.)?
26 > --
27 > Andrey Vul
28
29 This is a 6-year-old desktop, 1.6 GHz, 2 GB original DDR memory.
30
31 I run KDE and sometimes a bunch of compute-bound research tasks of my
32 own creation.
33
34 I haven't compiled it in so long I may be confusing it with gnome or
35 KDE or any of that collection of things that monopolize my machine
36 from time to time. A couple of years back I went to 'bin' on things I
37 don't use much, and did some trimming on modular packages like KDE to
38 cut down my emerge times. There are just so many times when I want to
39 break in to fool with some hardware and I'm loath to do it during an
40 emerge. I just think of these measures as saving me days of emerging
41 from time to time.
42
43 ++ kevin
46 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD