From: Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reopen: OpenOffice dies on startup
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 05:04:47
1 On an 1.7 GHz Ahtlon Xp with 768 MB of SDR133, it takes about 8 hours
2 if X is *not* running and there are no other emerges nor anything else
3 that is CPU-/RAM-hunry. Basically, turn off X and your research
4 programs for up to 12 hours. nice -n -20 can shave your emerge time
5 even more, at the risk of decreased system responsiveness.
6 The only thing that takes a day or two is emerge -uvD --with-bdeps=y world .
7 Gentoo requires patience, with the reward of fast code. I actually
8 enjoy waiting for compiles to finish, so much so that I install from
9 stage 1 if possible and only use stage 3 if I have to get Gentoo
10 working in a short amount of time. At least the compiling makes a very
11 good screensaver :D
12