From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge @system
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 10:57:02
1 On Tuesday 30 Aug 2016 12:06:43 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > You should elaborate more and be specific on what you mean by "The
4 > reason is an intermittent series of apparently unrelated things going
5 > wrong."
6
7 Here's one then: In KMail (yes, I know*) the folder list contains an item
8 "trash" (ugh!), but when I come to empty it it's called "Wastebin" (much
9 better) in the drop-down menu.
10
11 And another: if I move my user account away and create a new one, setting
12 KDE plasma up from scratch (this is ~amd64), the system-settings panel has
13 no icons and the single-click-to-open preference is ignored, even though
14 it's the default and I already have it set anyway. Then, if I revert to the
15 original home directory, which has followed events through the last six
16 months, those faults disappear.
17
18 > Work the real problem, not an assumed one :-)
19
20 Of course - when I can find it! I'm just trying to ensure that the system is
21 clean before I go tilting at windmills. Possibly, I'm just seeing the
22 immaturity of KDE-5. So be it, if so.
23
24 * I've seen references to KMail 5.0.3 already Out There, so I'm sticking
25 with it in the hope that 5.* will be more solid.
28 Rgds
29 Peter