From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Interface eth0 does not exist - e1000e/e1000
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 00:00:26
1 On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 4:54 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>    I've been helping a friend over the phone who's trying to fix a
6 >> networking problem. This machine was built a month ago running
7 >> something like 2.6.39-gentoo-r2. Networking worked great. I do not
8 >> know what driver it was using, but it worked great.
9 >>
10 >>    Two weeks ago we updated the machine to 3.0-0-gentoo and I think
11 >> networking was working fine however I never logged in and never tested
12 >> the network interface. The owner believes it was working, at least for
13 >> a while, but it isn't now. When we boot now we get the message:
14 >>
15 >> "Interface eth0 does not exist"
16 >>
17 >> which typically happens when you don't have the correct driver
18 >> installed. The system is loading the e1000e driver but we're not able
19 >> to start net.eth0.
20 >>
21 >>    lspci -k says the e1000e driver is in use, and e1000e is in memory.
22 >>
23 >>    We then tested again with the original 2.6.39 kernel and found that
24 >> even with that kernel, which I absolutely know worked at one time
25 >> because I built the machine over the Internet for him, it no longer
26 >> works. That kernel is also loading e1000e.
27 >>
28 >>    We then booted from the Gentoo LiveCD and found that the LiveCD is
29 >> also loading e1000e and that with the LiveCD everything is working
30 >> perfectly. I can ssh into the box, he can ping Google. Everything is
31 >> cool with the e1000e driver using the Live CD, but not using the
32 >> kernels we build.
33 >>
34 >>    At this point I set up the chroot install environment, dropped in
35 >> to build a new kernel. I did a make clean && make && make
36 >> modules_install. Everything built fine. I copied it over to /boot,
37 >> rebooted and still have the same problem. e1000e is loaded but says
38 >> the the interface doesn't exist.
39 >>
40 >>    The net.eth0 link exists in /etc/init.d, and trying to start
41 >> networking using .etc.init.d/net.eth0 yields the same error.
42 >>
43 >>    What am I doing wrong here? How come it used to work, and still
44 >> works from the CD, but won't work from his old or new kernels?
45 >
46 > I bet udev renamed the device -- check and see if you have eth
47 > anything.  Udev does things like that.
48 >
49 > --
50 > Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
51 > How do
52 > you spend it?
53 >
54 >         John Covici
55 >         covici@××××××××××.com
58 Sounds likely. Since I cannot shell in I need to give him
59 instructions. Are we talking about the contents of
60 /etc/udev/rules.d/70persist-net.rules?
61
62 Thanks,
63 Mark