From: sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distcc
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 20:53:23
1 John Blinka wrote:
2 > sean wrote:
3 >> John Blinka wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>
6 >>> I think this is backwards. The cross compiler should be on the
7 >>> Opteron box, since distcc is asking
8 >>> the Opteron box to produce 32 bit code for the P4 box.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> Check this out. Look at the line highlighted in green.
12 >>
13 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cross-compiling-distcc.xml
14 > Yep, that's exactly the document I used to get cross-compiling working
15 > with distcc
16 > on my machines. See the paragraph near the top under the heading "Emerge
17 > the needed utilities". The first sentence of this paragraph refers to
18 > machines "that
19 > will be involved in the compiling process". One might argue that both
20 > your P4 and Opteron
21 > machines are "involved" since the P4 calls the compiler and the Opteron
22 > does the compiling.
23 > But the sentence really refers to machines that will actually *do* the
24 > compiling, i.e., your
25 > Opteron. So you should do 2 things on the Opteron box: "emerge
26 > crossdev" and
27 > "crossdev -t arg" where I'm guessing "arg" is i686-pc-linux-gnu for your
28 > P4 box.
29 > The green highlighted stuff are things you do on the P4 box. The
30 > explanation for
31 > doing the green highlighted stuff is found at the end of the page under
32 > the heading
33 > "Why this works".
34 >
35 > John Blinka
36
37 Thanks John,
38
39 Perhaps it is just me, but maybe the docs on this topic could use just
40 a bit more sharpening to clear things.
41
42 Sean
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list