From: John Blinka <jblinka@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distcc
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 21:16:34
1 sean wrote:
2 > John Blinka wrote:
5 >> I think this is backwards. The cross compiler should be on the
6 >> Opteron box, since distcc is asking
7 >> the Opteron box to produce 32 bit code for the P4 box.
10 > Check this out. Look at the line highlighted in green.
11 >
12 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cross-compiling-distcc.xml
13 Yep, that's exactly the document I used to get cross-compiling working
14 with distcc
15 on my machines. See the paragraph near the top under the heading "Emerge
16 the needed utilities". The first sentence of this paragraph refers to
17 machines "that
18 will be involved in the compiling process". One might argue that both
19 your P4 and Opteron
20 machines are "involved" since the P4 calls the compiler and the Opteron
21 does the compiling.
22 But the sentence really refers to machines that will actually *do* the
23 compiling, i.e., your
24 Opteron. So you should do 2 things on the Opteron box: "emerge
25 crossdev" and
26 "crossdev -t arg" where I'm guessing "arg" is i686-pc-linux-gnu for your
27 P4 box.
28 The green highlighted stuff are things you do on the P4 box. The
29 explanation for
30 doing the green highlighted stuff is found at the end of the page under
31 the heading
32 "Why this works".
33
34 John Blinka