From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Most important packages to save buildpkg of
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 06:21:09
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > On Sunday 21 January 2007 09:55, Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net> wrote
3 > about '[gentoo-user] Most important packages to save buildpkg of':
4 >
5 >> Every once in a blue moon I screw up something. I don't know why I am
6 >> telling you this. I come here mostly for help. LOL So you already now
7 >> that. I have buildpkg set in make.conf. It does tend to consume some
8 >> space though. What is say the top ten or twelve programs that would be
9 >> good to have in case of a rescue? I would assume portage, gcc and
10 >> python would be pretty important. I plan to delete the rest for space.
13 > Keep a glibc and binutils around as well. Have busybox *installed*,
14 > statically linked. pam, acl and your favorite non-X11 editor would be my
15 > next additions to the package list. Then, to round out the 10-12 add all
16 > the packages that provide your file system (e2fstools, reiserfstools,
17 > etc.) and block device (LVM, EVMS, etc.) tools.
20 I have busybox installed. I wonder where that came from. :/ This is
21 what it says the flags are:
22
23 > [ebuild R ] sys-apps/busybox-1.2.2.1 USE="-debug -make-symlinks
24 > -netboot -savedconfig -static" 1,380 kB
25
26 Those correct? I would hate to bork something and then find out busybox
27 is installed wrong. It would be my luck though.
31 >> Also, what commands would a person have to use to make use of those
32 >> buildpkg's? So far, I have not needed one. < says prayer > That
33 >> assumes portage is what is screwed up to begin with.
36 > All you need is tar. You simply extract the compressed tarball over your
37 > root file system and the package is installed, but not entered into the
38 > vdb (so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to re-emerge it once you get portage
39 > back up).
40 >
41 > If you glibc gets screwed up, your standard tar will probably just die on
42 > you, which is why I mentioned a statically linked busybox as something to
43 > install. Busybox can function as both a shell (if bash starts misbehaving
44 > cause readline, glibc, or something else it links to is broken) and tar,
45 > as well as a host of other programs.
49 Thanks
50
51 Dale
52