From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Most important packages to save buildpkg of
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 20:30:48
1 On Sunday 21 January 2007 09:55, Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] Most important packages to save buildpkg of':
3 > Every once in a blue moon I screw up something. I don't know why I am
4 > telling you this. I come here mostly for help. LOL So you already now
5 > that. I have buildpkg set in make.conf. It does tend to consume some
6 > space though. What is say the top ten or twelve programs that would be
7 > good to have in case of a rescue? I would assume portage, gcc and
8 > python would be pretty important. I plan to delete the rest for space.
9
10 Keep a glibc and binutils around as well. Have busybox *installed*,
11 statically linked. pam, acl and your favorite non-X11 editor would be my
12 next additions to the package list. Then, to round out the 10-12 add all
13 the packages that provide your file system (e2fstools, reiserfstools,
14 etc.) and block device (LVM, EVMS, etc.) tools.
15
16 > Also, what commands would a person have to use to make use of those
17 > buildpkg's? So far, I have not needed one. < says prayer > That
18 > assumes portage is what is screwed up to begin with.
19
20 All you need is tar. You simply extract the compressed tarball over your
21 root file system and the package is installed, but not entered into the
22 vdb (so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to re-emerge it once you get portage
23 back up).
24
25 If you glibc gets screwed up, your standard tar will probably just die on
26 you, which is why I mentioned a statically linked busybox as something to
27 install. Busybox can function as both a shell (if bash starts misbehaving
28 cause readline, glibc, or something else it links to is broken) and tar,
29 as well as a host of other programs.
32 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
33 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
34 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
35 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/