From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB crucial file recovery
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 17:41:39
1 >>>> Is there a
2 >>>> filesystem that will make that unnecessary and exhibit better
3 >>>> reliability than NTFS?
4 >>>
5 >>>
6 >>> Yes, FAT. It works and works well.
7 >>> Or exFAT which is Microsoft's solution to the problem of very large
8 >>> files on FAT.
11 >> FAT32 won't work for me since I need to use files larger than 4GB. I
12 >> know it's beta software but should exfat be more reliable than ntfs?
15 > It doesn't do all the fancy journalling that ntfs does, so based solely on
16 > complexity, it ought to be more reliable.
17 >
18 > None of us have done real tests and mentioned it here, so we really don't
19 > know how it pans out in the real world.
20 >
21 > Do a bunch of tests yourself and decide
24 >>> Which NTFS system are you using?
25 >>>
26 >>> ntfs kernel module? It's quite dodgy and unsafe with writes
27 >>> ntfs-ng on fuse? I find that one quite solid
30 >> I'm using ntfs-ng as opposed to the kernel option(s).
33 > I'm offering 10 to 1 odds that your problems came from a faulty USB stick,
34 > or maybe one that you yanked too soon
37 It could be failing hardware but I didn't touch the USB stick when it
38 freaked out. This same thing has happened several times now with two
39 different USB sticks.
40
41 It sounds like I'm stuck with NTFS if I want to share the USB stick
42 amongst Gentoo systems without managing UUIDs and I want to work with
43 files larger than 4GB. exfat is the other option but it sounds rather
44 unproven.
45
46 - Grant