From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB crucial file recovery
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 21:45:38
1 On 31/08/2016 17:25, Grant wrote:
2 >>> Is there a
3 >>> filesystem that will make that unnecessary and exhibit better
4 >>> reliability than NTFS?
5 >>
6 >> Yes, FAT. It works and works well.
7 >> Or exFAT which is Microsoft's solution to the problem of very large
8 >> files on FAT.
11 > FAT32 won't work for me since I need to use files larger than 4GB. I
12 > know it's beta software but should exfat be more reliable than ntfs?
13
14 It doesn't do all the fancy journalling that ntfs does, so based solely
15 on complexity, it ought to be more reliable.
16
17 None of us have done real tests and mentioned it here, so we really
18 don't know how it pans out in the real world.
19
20 Do a bunch of tests yourself and decide
24 >> Which NTFS system are you using?
25 >>
26 >> ntfs kernel module? It's quite dodgy and unsafe with writes
27 >> ntfs-ng on fuse? I find that one quite solid
30 > I'm using ntfs-ng as opposed to the kernel option(s).
31
32 I'm offering 10 to 1 odds that your problems came from a faulty USB
33 stick, or maybe one that you yanked too soon