From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I control size of /run (tmpfs)?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 22:39:53
1 On Mon, 28 May 2012 21:24:59 +0200, Jarry wrote:
2
3 > > But why would you want to?
4 >
5 > I do not see any advantage in having /run on tmpfs.
6
7 Even though you have had several benefits explained to you? Files in /run
8 have to be available and writeable at all times from early boot onwards,
9 using a hard disk filesystem cannot guarantee this.
10
11 > > will be automatically moved to your swap partition if doing so
12 > > benefits your system.
13 >
14 > I'm not sure it is true. I have read somewhere that tmfps is
15 > never moved to swap.
16
17 You can justify anything you like with something you have read somewhere.
18 However, if you read the kernel docs on tmpfs you'll see
19
20 "tmpfs puts everything into the kernel internal caches and grows and
21 shrinks to accommodate the files it contains and is able to swap
22 unneeded pages out to swap space. It has maximum size limits which can
23 be adjusted on the fly via 'mount -o remount ...'"
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Barth's Distinction:
30 There are two types of people: those who divide people into two types, and
31 those who don't.